Sunday, July 1, 2012

Configurations Box...Done!

"CONFIGURATIONS (KUHN-FIG-YUH-REY-SHUNZ) - The relative arrangement of compartments or elements of a framed box used to display treasured objects or findings" 
- Tim Holtz Idea-ology

  Ta-Da!! A year (almost!) in the making! I finally finished my box! It was a lot of fun to make. I posted the box after I covered it in paper, tissue tape, Mod Podge and Distress Rock Candy Crackle. You can see it "naked" HERE.
  The stars must be alined, because I finished this about 5 days ago and I have been "fine tuning" it when I noticed the Grungy Monday challenge posted Friday is......Configurations Box!!! Really?! How lucky is that!


Here are the closeups and commentary. I'm a newbie with the hot glue gun and I'm sure you'll see some glue string here and there. Most of you can pick out Tim's stuff:
The buttons with hearts on it, is a brooch I picked up years ago at a Hallmark store.


When we had an oil leak from our oil tank, our backyard was dug up and this is one of the bottles they found. It's a Cutex nail polish bottle. Here's another photo of it on it's own and a 1937 ad I found on the web:



Distress Embossing Powder, Tattered Rose is in the bottle. The 2 blue stones in front are actually pieces of beach glass I found on a beach here in Nova Scotia.


The sand dollar and shell is also from a beach in Nova Scotia.


The camera is from Wallmart; jewellery section. The bottle cap on "roof" has a mirror in it.

The dice is from our trip to Las Vegas many years ago. The mask charm is from a local paper craft store, The Cutting Garden

That is a miniature Coke bottle, and we had several of them. Only one left. Have no idea where we got them. 


The 2 buttons (mauve and pink), are from a bag of buttons a co-worker gave me. They were her mothers. Thanks Donna!


My tribute to the Librarian and books! This lovely lady is an image I got from a free graphic site. What Librarians looked like in days gone by! The little red book on the left, I got at a Miniature Trade Show in Toronto many years ago. The notebook on the right is from Michaels.


This is a little tribute to my mom. One of my fav photos. She sewed (all my clothes and hers), quilted, crocheted, and knitted. Those 2 thimbles are hers. I have her pinking shears (used on the quote). They are quite heavy and cut like new!


Mike (my hubby) is represented here. This was his little truck; made of metal.


I collect cat figurines, and this little fellow fit perfectly! 

The perfume bottle I picked up at a flee market. The woman threw it in with something else I bought. The little mirror is from Michaels.


This box has the least in it. Couldn't think of anything else to go in it. Did you notice you're being watched?


The left side.

The right side. Both large keys are from K&Company.

The top. The door knob is from 7gypsies. 

The back.


 So there you have it! I thought I would never complete it. Yesterday I bought Tim's Printer Tray! Can hardly wait to get at that! Hopefully it won't take a year!


Entering this in:
Grungy Monday: Compendium of Curiosities Special Edition: Challenges 11 and 12!

As you can see I have a lot of "bits and bobs" around the house. Have a look in your drawers, you might find some interesting "odds & sods" too!


Wishes
Debbie
^..^



35 comments:

CuddlyBunny said...

Breathtaking! Each compartment has a separate "theme" that all relate to your overall direction of collections and family! Wow!

A person could sit with this for a week and *still* find surprises!

Beverly S said...

Delightful and beautiful - thanks so much for sharing!

inkypinkycraft said...

This is absolutely beautiful! I lve all the treasures you have included ..and totally worth every second of work! Trace x

craftattack said...

Lovely work, looks great! Valerie

julie c said...

It's all so beautiful! I love your attention to all the little details, so much eye candy!!

craftingcottage said...

Debbie the detail in this is amazing!!! What a lovely project! Wow!

Barb F said...

Thay is just soooo cool!!!! I have been hoarding stuff to make one. You have inspired me to give it a try!!!! Hmmm !! Wonder how many years this one will take!!!! Love yours!!!

Chris / CS Designs said...

Debbie, This is a fantastic creation. I love all the special little bits you added and it was great to see the close ups.
:) Chris / CS Designs

Scrappin' Stacy said...

A truly Wonderful creation. I can see why this took you a year to finish - such great detail in every box.

Valerie H. Wilson said...

Totally, completely and absolutely stunning!!!!!!!!
xo

Shelann said...

Beautiful with all of the detail and meaning. I especially like your husbands truck.

alison said...

So many wonderful treasures... it's a beautiful work of art that will be treasured for years to come Debbie! You must be so proud of it!
ALISON X

Karen said...

Great box !
I really must finish mine: 18 months and counting! LOL

Cheryl said...

Just stunning! Love all the wonderful little treasures you found to fill the cubbies with - beautiful design! :)

Diana said...

i would say well worth the time it took to do!! displayed proudly i bet!! i too want to try a painters tray someday!

Lisa :) said...

WOW this is just gorgeous!!!

Marjie Kemper said...

Oh, Debbie, it's wonderful! I love all the special meanings you've added like the tribute to your mom. Fabulous box!

Redanne said...

Hi Debbie, this is my first visit to your blog. I think it was worth taking 12 months over your gorgeous creation, I can see that you have put a lot of love and care into it. It really is beautiful.

Carol said...

Fabulous! So many wonderful details. Love the colors.

Carol said...

This awsome, and as you said about mine it's tells a story about you.

toni said...

Fantastic so much to look at x

Kristina said...

this is just really awesome and I love how you dedicated different slots for your different family members. That is really cool of you to do that. You have done a really great job here!
Peace,
KristyLee

Sue West said...

A beautiful box Debbie, with so many perfect little details. Lovely.
Sue :)

trisha too said...

Debbie, this looks AWESOME! All those fun little niches, full of fun little things, what a joy to look through!

:)

lynne said...

Hi Debbie
Every now and again it is lovely to have a labour of love project on the go and then to see it completed.
Wonderful details and lovely to have some authentic pieces in the cubbies.
TFS.
Wishes
Lynne

Annette Green said...

Holy Moses, no wonder it took you a year in the making! This is wonderful. I loved reading all about each memory and tribute to your family. Such wonderful little touches. What a treasured memento you now have. So lovely. Thank you for sharing it with us. I'm feeling inspired to make another box now!

Terry said...

You just blew me away! This is beyond amazing! Every little space is perfectly detailed and fun! Love all those little treasures! Don't even know where you found them all, but that is one fabulous collection! Love this!

Jane said...

Fabulous job! I love how creative you got filling in the boxes. Great variety and fun.

Sandy said...

I love this - you have really inspired me!!!!
Sandy

Beth said...

Wow Debbie this is awesome and the work that went in to it beautiful work.

Shelly Schmidt said...

Absolutely amazing! I love your write up with all of the personalized details- you are a Rock Star!!!

Lucy Edmondson said...

This is absolutely wonderful, Debbie! One of the loveliest configurations boxes I have seen. What a work of art,

Lucy x

Shelley said...

It's beautiful! So much to look at and the details like the eye in the keyhole are amazing. Love that you even decorated the back. Bravo!

PetraB said...

Just adorable with all these wonderful details.

Laura (Bookworm) said...

I love your configuration box -- especially the way that you've paid tribute to people and things that are important to you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...