Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Fashions Fade, Style Is Eternal

click on photo for larger image
I just mailed this tag to my cousin Bev in Ontario. She wanted a birthday card for her good friend and sister-in-law Judy. 


Sewing stuff seems to be popular right now, which I love, since I collect thimbles, but that's a whole other blog! Funny, I don't sew or anything, but I collect thimbles! Go figure!


I just bought the Tim Holtz Sewing Room die cut, so I thought I'd give it a go. I cut out the dress form using some of Tim's paper, then cut it out again using his Grungepaper; then glued together. Inked the bottom of dress form with DI Frayed Burlap and Old Paper. Added some pearls ; threaded a white button and smooshed with Distress Stickles Rock Candy to give some gritty feel to it. The sentiment is a Hampton Art  rubber stamp, that I purchased at Michaels.


The dress pattern is from Google Images. Crocheted lace is Graphic45 Staples - Trim ; ruler sicker is from Tim's Salvage Stickers, Crowded Attic ; tag is inked with DI Aged Mahogany and Frayed Burlap ; layered some brown tulle with a flocked vine pattern (found at Dollar Store!), over tag after inking. The white tulle behind pattern is from Michaels. Button covering hole is from Donna, a co-worker. Thanks Donna! I put a little rhinestone bling in it. 


My mom was a sewer; big time! Pretty much all my clothes were handmade, even my bathing suit! She also crocheted, knitted and quilted. And what did I get from her genes, you ask? None of the above. She often finished my projects I had to do in Home Economics class; finished the skirt or shorts I had to make. 


I guess I did pick up some sort of a creative gene. I painted those plaster Christmas ornaments, villages, and Santas for years. I did do a lot of Crewel Stitchery too. Now, I finally found something I really am obsessed about; stamping, inking and creating with paper!


Click on photos for larger images:


Challenges:
1. Dragons Dream TIO#9 - Dedicated Follower of Fashion
2. Fashionable Stamping CH#4: Tags
3. Shopping Your Stash: CH#17 Vintage, Distressed, Shabby Chic

My last post of the Clown tag got some interesting comments! Mike warned me that most people are creeped out by clowns! I'm a big Stephen King fan, and one of my favourite books of his is "It". I do love the artwork from "back in the day" of clowns and carnivals, I just can't look at them for very long, because they do creep me out!


Thanks for stopping by! Have a lookie look around! Leave a word or two before you go! Make sure go to the challenges to see the awesome and brilliant artwork! Have a very fashionable week! Strut your stuff! :)

Fabulous news! I am the September prize winner over at the Shopping Our Stash Challenge Blog! The goodies are in the mail! Thank you Carla and Alica!

29 comments:

Dragon said...

Tee Hee Debbie... I 'spect she will love that when she visits!!! LOVING your tag again this week, what a stylish dream for TIO
Frankie
xx

Danni said...

What a fun tag! So very clever and creative!! Thank you for playing along with Shopping Our Stash!

craftattack said...

Ha! I've been singing this song since this morning when I read about the new Dragon's challenge! Love your tag, it has a really vintage feel to it. Hugs, Valerie

inkypinkycraft said...

This is fab, funny I have justgotbthe sewing die to go with some vintage sewing stamps, don't have thimbles though!!! Gorgeous tag and no creepy clowns !!! Great stuff trace x

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Debbie, your tag looks wonderful, you've collected alot of fantastic sewing things. Thanks for dreaming with us on TIO this week and joining the Fashionable Stamping Challenges.

Bubbles said...

Love the tag - I expect nothing less than fabulous from you (and I'm always happy!). The background colour really brings out the colours in the pattern embellie. It's really lovely.

Today is full of surprises... Lunch Lady Jan plays the tuba (yes, really!) and you collect thimbles.... great! :)

Lynne Moncrieff said...

Thrilled to see you enter your tag at Fashionable Stamping Challenge.
It is quite fabulous with all the detail.
Wishes
Lynne

Helen said...

Love your tag!! So much to look at. Thanks for sharing it with us at TIO - and for finding the video too! I am sure Wanda is grateful.

Wanda said...

Now, just when I had finally stopped singing this song, I check out your entry for this weeks TIO challenge and the video clip, and I'm at it again. Argh!!! A fabulous tag. Love the dress form and the addition of the buttons, especially the glass one. Thanks for joining in with us this week at the TIO challenge, and for the video clip.
Wanda xx

June Houck said...

Debbie, your tag is absolutely delightful! So clever to add your sentiment on the dress form and that mini pattern is cuh-UTE! Beautiful background too :)

Sue said...

This is brilliant, I love your quote on the dress form, and the tiny dress pattern is perfect x

Meggymay said...

Your tag looks beautiful, love all the sewing details you added. Thankyou for joining us at F.S.C. this week

Faye said...

Very pretty tag, Tess. I love the dress pattern.

Wax Beach Artist said...

I love all the little details on your tag and the sentiment too! You got alot from your Mom. She was great at sewing and you are great at stamping!

Leslie Hanna said...

Oooh, that mini pattern is a nice addition! I used to sew all my own clothes, yes - even swim suits. I've started sewing on my cards now. :)

Thanks for joining us at Shopping Our Stash!

Vintage Milly said...

Oh wow, I love your tag - all those elements look fab togather and I will take a look out for a pattern image - that looks really cool,
hugs,
Em.x

Linda B said...

What a terrific tag... love the little pattern... so cute!

Rhonda said...

Fabulous! Love the quote - it is just perfect. The vintage pattern is a great touch and that flocked tulle is just to die for! Great details - cheers! and thanks for following my blog

trisha too said...

Debbie, your tag is fabulous--all the textures and details--but that tiny pattern, that was the perfect touch! And Vogue, too, very nice!

:)

Paige said...

Awesome tag - love the details! Thanks for joining us at SOS!

Kim Dellow said...

totally beautiful! Lovely tag. Kim

Claire said...

Gorgeous tab, love the delicate colours. Thanks for joining us at FAshionable Stamping Challenges and good luck
Claire xx

ElizabethR said...

LOL you aint heard Wanda sing, hehe... great tag, I love the sewing pattern, will go have a look for some of those!! Thanks for sharing with us this week at the TIO. Elizabth x

Cazro said...

Thanks for joining us at FSC I love your detailed tag. Caz

Janet said...

Totally gorgeous tag Debbie,lots of details to look at,I'm sure you cousin will love it.
Janet

Gerri Herbst said...

Such a wonderful piece. The addition of that tiny sewing pattern is fantastic. Beautiful tag today!

Terry said...

Beautiful way to use the dress form die! Love these fabby layers! Thank you for joining us at Fashionable Stamping Challenges!

Marjie Kemper said...

Love the way you've fit the sentiment ON the dressform... it's so elegant! Love the tulle, lace, etc - great tag!

Kiera said...

Hi Debbie!
What a beautiful tag, I cam across your blog while searching for ideas to use my 'fashions fade..' stamp. Did you make any other tags or cards with this stamp? I would love some ideas, I am stumped. Beautiful work!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...