Monday, September 5, 2011

Butterflies and Beeswax

Click on photo for larger image
This was fun to make and a bit out of my box for sure. I'm a rubber stamp gal most of the time, but this image was too cute to pass up! I got it from Magic Moonlight Studio Free Images. The 2 butterflies I got from Google images. But, I did use rubber stamps! Never complete unless there's a stamp somewhere!


The corner flourish stamp is from Tim Holtz Regal Flourish set. I also used his Butterfly Tissue Tape from the Sketchbook set. The sentiment stamp is from a set of unknown origin! Brads are from Stampin' Up! I used Distress Inks for the background (can't remember the colours I used; I usually write it down for when I post but I forgot!). After inks were applied, a shot of Glimmer Mist Caribbean Blue; hence the blob underneath the sentiment!


Now here's where the fun part comes in! I bought a Ranger's Melting Pot! My latest toy! I brushed melted beeswax over the entire tag; a little extra at the top. Then I used a flourish stamp while the wax was still hot and made the impressions! I saw this technique in Craft Stamper Magazine, August 2011 issue. Louise, a co-worker also tried it. You can have a look at her awesome beeswax card here. I also melted some UTEE, added some Glitter Ritz, Sand  and then brushed it on her wings. Fabulous technique! I am "stung" for sure! (sorry!)


Click on photos for larger images:
A closer look at the stamped flourish in the wax
You can see the Glitter Ritz sparkling in the UTEE on her wings. I inked her edges with DI Vintage Photo. Her clothes were already tinted.
Her wings were glued down, but with all the beeswax and UTEE, they popped up! I rather like the 3D look!
This tag is entered in the following challenges:
1. Card and Scrap: Decorate a Tag
2. Take a Word #45: Butterflies
3. Art With No Boundaries: Anything Goes
4. Just For Fun: Say it with WORDS

I couldn't find a music video on butterflies, but, here's a great video of Suze Weinberg, who developed the Melting Pot, giving a demo using beeswax. She shows more detail and added textures. I'm loving the beeswax! Want to explore it more!




Thanks for stopping by. Have a look around before you go and leave a word or two! Make sure you visit the challenges to see all the awesome entries! 


Honoured and proud! This butterfly tag was selected as "Top 3" at the Art With No Boundaries, Anything Goes Challenge! Thank you very much for selecting my tag! Congrats to Claire and Samara, and everyone who entered! Fabulous artwork from everyone!

38 comments:

Jo Capper-Sandon said...

I wish it was 'feely vison',this looks so tactile. Love the colours too. I am yet to try out beeswax. Think I neeeeed to!

inkypinkycraft said...

I love it, I have a melt pot on my list to buy, love the texture, great .really lovely.trace x

craftattack said...

Lovely tag, Deb, really gorgeous. You have achieved great texture with the wax and the utee. Hugs, Valerie

Junibears said...

What a gorgeous butterfly tag. beautifully done! I've had a lovely browse through your blog and your tags are all very special. And the box you made of teeny tiny boxes.....my, my. Delicious! Hugs xx

Lynne Moncrieff said...

The use of beeswax makes this tag so very special. Don't you just love beeswax?!!! I always tell myself to make more use of it but for safety reasons my melt pot isn't in my craft space so sometimes I've completed the project and think "oops, forgot the beeswax" lol.
Fabulous tag.
Wishes
Lynne

Silvia(Barnie) said...

A fantastic tag and great beeswax effect. Thanks for sharing the link.

indybev said...

What a beautiful little tag. Thanks for sharing your talent.

Wax Beach Artist said...

Your tag is so beautiful! I really love the textured flourishes and the tape with the stamping, too cool! Thanks for the video, I love watching how others work with beeswax. The little girl on your tag is too sweet, I just want to grab her up and kiss her!

Taluula said...

Out of your comfort zone or not you produced a beautiful tag indeed.

By the way I love the play on words in the name of your blog. Way to go.

Lizbethem said...

Fabulosity! The "popup" wings are delightful and your stamping into the wax was inspired. I must get to these videos soon.

johanna said...

totally awesome!!

Anne Bente said...

wawwww it is beautiful

100000 tak for at du deltager på Card and scraps udfordring
klemmmm

CTgirl said...

What a sweet, stunning tag! I LOVE butterflies and this is no exception. The little girl is too darling!
Thanks for joining us at Art with No Boundaries, hope you will add some more of your fabulous art!

Patricia said...

WOW love this tag!!!!
PERFECT details and the angelchild is so sweet!
Greetz Patricia

Faye said...

Wow, Debbie, the colors on your tag are gorgeous!

Meggymay said...

Fantastic tag, the pictures show the details so well. Yvonne x

florenceandfreddie said...

Hi Debbie. This is just so gorgeous. The child image is so adorable. Love how you have used the bees wax.
Regards Florence x

Von said...

What a wonderful first tag using the beeswax impressive :)
Thank you for sharing it with us at Just for Fun
Von x

Anonymous said...

she is lovely and the tag is just perfect.
Christine (Image Wings0

Sharon said...

Debbis this is just fantastic - love all the texture and the image is so gorgeous!!! Great inspiration for our Art with No Boundaries Challenge! Thanks so much for joining in!!

donna said...

Gorgeous/gorgeous gorgeous. I love it and I really want to play with wax. Can I come over?..hugs..Donna

Judy said...

Exquisite tag, Debbie, your tags are so beautiful, thanks for sharing your techniques!

trine said...

Beautiful tag. Thanks for joining us at card and scrap.

Suze Bain said...

Love the idea of the melted beeswax. Your tag is beautiful, love all the colours and images. Thanks for visiting me. xx

Gunn`s Kort said...

WOW:) Love your beautiful tag:)
Hugs

Zoechaos said...

Debbie this tag is magical you have achieved brilliant results with the wax love this tag. Thank you for sharing this with us at Just for Fun XOXO Zoe

Marjie Kemper said...

Your tag is GORGEOUS, Debbie! Makes me want to get out my wax and play... I love the texture you've made with the flourish stamp. Really need to do that myself. Congrats on the GInger Gem award, too!

Dragon said...

Wonderful.... hey there are 6 more hours to make a Bon Jovi metal / roses tag!!! Have a go Debbie!!
Frankie
xx

Sarina said...

Oeioeioei,as we say here in the Netherlands, what a stunner.
I have never seen a card with melted beeswax and it is gorgeous.I really like the corner flourish stamp, the are elegant.
grts,
Sarina

Chris / CS Designs said...

Debbie, Thank you for stopping by my Doodle Pieces blog and for the lovely comment you left there. Thank you also for sharing your fabulous Art Tag with us at Art With No Boundaries. I love all the different elements you used in your tag and the beeswax and the 3d wings create a great effect. Great inspiration.
:) Chris / CS Designs
http://www.cs-designs.blogspot.com/
http://www.doodlepieces.blogspot.com/

Neet said...

It's ages since I did any wax so it was lovely to be reminded with such a wonderful entry. Love the colours and the image you have used on this tag and the stamping into the wax is fabulous.
Thanks for joining us at JFF - Hugs, Neet x

Jaqi said...

Absolutely gorgeous tag and this little girl is so canny

Connie said...

Super, super lækkert tag.
Tak for at du deltager på Card and scraps udfordring

Ineke van den Akker said...

Fantastic. Just love this!

Gry-Heidi said...

Gorgeous tag!! Love the colors and the details are fantastic !
Thanks for playing along at the Card and Scrap challenge.

Hugs, Gry-Heidi :)

Gerri Herbst said...

Stunning...love that beeswax technique , so cool.(I mean hot! LOL)

Anke said...

WOW WOW WOW your tag is adorable

Ozstuff said...

Exquisite artwork. I love your butterflies and beeswax and I have to say I love the name of your blog - a play on words which is naughty but nice!!
(PS - I live about as far away from your part of the world as it is possible to be on this planet (Western Australia) but I have visited Nova Scotia and loved every minute of it).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...