Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Tim's Alcohol Ink Splatter


This brightly inked tag is for Grungy Monday #13 challenge over at Studio L3. Linda has selected for this week Tim Holtz Adirondack Alcohol Inks technique.  I bought his book, "A Compendium of Curiosities" a couple of weeks ago, and was flipping through it today and saw his Alcohol Ink Splatter technique on page 52 and thought I would give it a try. 


I'm always nervous using stamps on alcohol inked surfaces. Half the time they don't work for me. I actually paper pieced umbrella girl. I stamped her on the tag, then again on different scraps I had leftover, and then glued them on top. Same with the sentiment. I stamped it on the tag, but some parts of the words didn't show very well. Stamped it on some leftover scrap, then matted on black cs. I find StazOn ink works better for me.


The Supply List:
- Various colours of Adirondack Alcohol Inks; used the brightest ones I have.
- Adirondack Blending Solution
- Compressed Air
- Glossy card stock
- Tim's stamps: Harlequinn and sentiment  are from the Boundless Flight set
- The cute little umbrella girl is from a set called, "Les Petites Whimsies" by Sandra Evertson. I bought them from Stampington & Co. 
- Pink glitter button ; bling ; clip and colourful fibre from The Dollar Store


Here's what it looked like after I splattered the inks:




So go check out the other entries, here. Linda has a link to Tim's Alcohol Ink technique on her site, Studio L3


Here's a video of Tim demonstrating the splatter technique:



Ok. I found a video. Didn't think I would find one. Staying with the theme of the tag, I thought this was a good fit. Boyz II Men singing The Temptations song, "Just My Imagination". Just as good as the real Temptations! Love Motown! 2 videos this post! Holy Cow! More bang for your buck! And, the mail is moving again! 


Have a look and listen. Sing along if you want to...you know you do!



Thanks for stopping by. Leave a word or two before you go. Have a look around too!

21 comments:

busymartha said...

I love this technique also! So bright and attractive, very pleasing to the eye! Thanks for sharing, Marilyn

donna said...

Wonderful tag. I have that Stampington set. She is pretty small for piecing. Good for you! Yeah for the mail but not so yeah to how it happened.cheers,,Donna

Helen said...

Gorgeous colours, love the splatter.

craftattack said...

Great tag! Valerie

Kathy Eddy said...

I love how this came out! so bright and colorful. It's a great technique isn't it!

Marjie Kemper said...

Fun tag! Love the way you added the pops off color hanging off the left. Very appealing!

Lynne Moncrieff said...

Brilliant tag where the colours really pop and sing. That image works fabulously well with the background.
Wishes
Lynne

Kim said...

Your splatter came out great! During the Compendium Challenge, I found this technique very challenging! LOL! And yes, Staz-on does seem to be the best ink for the glossy papers.

minnie_mac said...

Lovely vibrant colours.

Marilyn

Linda Ledbetter @ Studio L3 said...

Debbie, I absolutely love this fun, colorful tag! The imagery is great, the sentiment ROCKS, and the Alcohol Inks are just gorgeous. What a happy work of art?

Isn't the Splatter Technique fun?!

Sue West said...

Love your tag, those colours are gorgeous.
Sue :)

Plume said...

I just love your bright colors! You used fun stamps too. I like the caracter and the sentiment.

Silvia(Barnie) said...

How fantastic, love the fresh colors.

Terry said...

We love our alcohol, don't we? Beautiful tag!

The Craft Cupboard Under the Stairs said...

Wow Debbie - your splatter turnedd out really nice! The stamping looks great and I love umbrella girl!

Alison said...

Wonderful technique Debbie! I love the bright colours & quirky image!
Alison x

Brenda Brown said...

Fabulous Debbie, the colours really zing.
luv and hugs {brenda} xoxox

BrianK said...

Hey Debbie, great job on the splattering, I haven't tried this yet, I'm afraid I'll make mud. Amazing work on the papaer piecing.

sasa said...

It turned out just fabulous - such amazing colours - great job!
Sarah

Amystarz said...

This tag just makes me happy...so cheery and bright!

Wendy said...

Great tag. I haven't tried this technique yet but I will definitely be trying it now. Thanks for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...