Friday, April 22, 2011

The Funny Papers



LAUGHTER is the shortest distance between two people
 ~ Victor Borge

The Stampotique Designers Challenge is newsprint/old book pages, any stamps. Have a look at the contenders:  SDC28:Newsprint/Old Book Pages (Any Stamps) 

How perfect is this?! I'm the Library Manager at The Chronicle Herald Nova Scotia's only provincial newspaper, and Canada's only family owned newspaper!  We are NOT a chain!  Now THERE'S a plug! 

My first tag! I made a tag before, but it was for the inside of a card. I've never made a free standing tag. It looks like a very large bookmark for a coffee table book! I decided to go with the comics page and use my favourite "birds with attitude" stamps from the Bird Assortment set by Amy Smyth at  Inkadinkado The "Laughter" sentiment stamp is from a set with some fabulous sentiments, but unfortunately, I do not know what company they are from. Anyone?

Technical stuff:
- Watercolour background (my container of  pretty paper is really angry with me! (Damn that Tim Holtz and is awesome inky techniques!) 
- Used Distress Inks: Broken China, Dusty Concord, Worn Lipstick, Spiced Marmalade. Dried with heat tool. Inked edges with Vintage Photo, my fav!
- Spritzed a little Smooch Spritz Carmel Latte on top. Heat tool again.
- Stamped birds and sentiments on white cs; inked it up ; hand torn; glued on black cs; hand torn and popped up with foam squares. 
- Paper pieced the birds using scrap paper. "HA HA" is cut from comic page
- Some turquoise and black Spica glitter pens here and there. 
- Added some rainbow coloured bling
- Fibre from Dollar Store ; purple eyelet 
- Viola!

A closer look. Gotta love the attitude!

Thanks for having a "look see" Drop me a word or 2!

13 comments:

Jayne C said...

Your tag is FAB!!! I love the idea of using the comic strip......!! Thanks for visiting my blog BTW!!!
xx

Basement Stamper said...

Love the plug and what a great time to do it with this challenge! Great job using the comic strip on this. Thanks for joining us at Stampotique Designer's Challenge.

Shelann said...

Great tag,they're so quick you may find it hard to go back to cards!

dutchstamptramp said...

What a great idea to work with this challenge! Love your tag so much! Thanks for joining the Stampotique designer's challenge

AssiCrafts said...

Love your tag! So colorful, really pretty!

Sue said...

This is brilliant Debbie I love it (and the rest of your blog)
Have a very happy Easter x

Willy said...

Your tag is amazing and very surprising! Thanks for joining us at Stampotique Designer's Challenge.

Kaz said...

I love your tag, it's so full of character and the colours are fab. Thanks for joining us at Stampotique.

Valerie H. Wilson said...

Awesome tag - and your first one - wow! Thanks so much for sharing it with us for the Stampotique Designer's Challenge!
Val :)

thekathrynwheel said...

Oh I love this, and I love the fact that you work for the nova scotia newspaper. You make me think of 'the shipping news' and I LOVE that book! Great quirky take on the theme, Kate :-)

Jo Capper-Sandon said...

:0)))

A very original idea/train of thought. LOVE this. Made me smile. Thank you so much for joining in with us at Stampotique Designers Challenge.

Gez said...

Beautiful tag. Just love your inky background :)
Sorry I'mm late calling. Thanks for joining us at Stampotique Designer's Challege. Hope you can join our new challenge :)

johanna said...

just strolling through your blog and i LOVE it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...