Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Watercolour Background Technique

I took a class last month at Photo Memories, a local scrapbooking store. The class was taught by Valerie Wilson, who was filling in for Kim Prince. She showed us a watercolour technique using Distress Inks, a spritzer with water, a Teflon mat, and plain white card stock. Love the effect you get! Each card you do turns out different. 


Have a look:

"Twinkie"

Isn't he cute?! The stamp is from Stampotique Originals. Love their goth people stamps! Distress Inks I used were Faded Jeans, Rusty Hinge and Peeled Paint, with some Vintage photo around the edge. Used Red Velvet Glimmer Mist on the corner. The word stamp and grass are Tim Holtz. The bird and butterfly were found in my drawer; no name! I paper pieced "Twinkie" and used Copic E00 Skin White on face and hands, with some Blush. My current fav technique! See end of post for a Tim Holtz video.


Here are a couple more:

Bird Imagination

I entered this card in the Stampotique Challenge .  The theme was, animals, birds, bees, butterflies or other insects. All stamps are Tim Holtz. Distress Inks used: Faded Jeans, Rusty Hinges, Peeled Paint, Vintage Photo. I entered this in TSC9 - Try Something New; Any Stamp at The Stampsmith Blog as well, and I am proud to say I was featured! Have a look: TSC9 - Try Something New
Embrace Imperfection

Tim Holtz stamps. Distress Inks used: Dusty Concord, Vintage Photo and a little Milled Lavender.


Watch Tim Holtz demonstrate different techniques using Distress Inks:




24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful cards - I can't wait to try that technique! - Louise

Valerie H. Wilson said...

Wow, Debbie! These are just amazing!!
Although I had the absolute pleasure of teaching that class, I was only filling in for my beautiful friend,Kim Prince, who did the brilliant work of creating the projects! I'm so glad that you were inspired to create these and share them with us for The Stampsmith Challenge - they are simply gorgeous!! Best of luck in the draw!
Cheers,
Val :)

Kim said...

Hi Debbie,

Val directed me to your blog! I am so happy that you have started one! Your cards are just gorgeous and I can't wait to see more!

Have a wonderful evening,
Kim

Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie
Your cards are lovely
Bye for now, Doug McG.

nmulcahy said...

When did you say you were taking orders? Great work Deb, very special. What's a scraping saying? "Keeping on sticken".
Nancy

Willy said...

Fabulous cards, Deb! Love the backgrounds you made. Thanks for joining us at Stampotique Designer's Challenge # 26.

Kaz said...

These are all beautiful cards. The backgrounds and stamping are gorgeous. Thanks for joining us at Stampotique.
I'd love to have a class with either Val or Kim!!

Hels Sheridan said...

my favourite way to make backgrounds cos they are just so lovely to get different looks...loving your cards! THanks for joining us with the SDC

dutchstamptramp said...

What a stunning collection of cards! Great backgrounds. Thanks for joining the Stampotique designer's challenge

Arwen said...

Wow they're great. Twinkie is my favorite :)
Thank you for visiting my SC Gallery.

Hugs Arwen

Basement Stamper said...

These are beautiful, I love the coloring of them. You did a great job! Thanks for joining us at Stampotique Designer's Challenge.

Karen McAlpine said...

Hey, I recongnize those names. That sounds like a very fun class. Love how all your projects turned out. I want to try this too. Thank you for joining us at the Stampsmith Challenge blog! Have a great day.

Valerie H. Wilson said...

So glad you've joined us for the Stampotique Designer's Challenge!! This fits perfectly with the theme and it's just GORGEOUS!!!
Yay!
Val :)

Gail said...

Beautiful cards, I love the way you use distress inks.

Karen said...

These are gorgeous!!!! I love the blends of colours, you've created such rich and textured backdrops for your vignettes, which are so beautifully composed. (I always struggle with that, so I know that it isn't easy - you are just making it look that way!)

R.Maria Sabina(Lollyrot) said...

this is more than beautiful! amazing work! Thanks for joining us at Stampotique.

joanne wardle said...

brilliant effect and beautiful cards. thanks for joining us at stampotique

Paulien said...

Well Debbie this is also amazing...wonderful colours with vintage-effect!

Terri said...

Your cards are fab Debbie! I love your colorful backgrounds and your designs.
Hugs,
Terri

Sue said...

These are all brilliant cards, I love the way they all look so different even with the same technique x

Angela Weimer said...

Beautiful cards. Love the second one in particular. thanks for sharing and have a great day. Angela

Gez said...

AMAZING cards..your backgrounds are fabulous. Love your choice of stamps too.
Thanks for joining us at Stampotique Designer's Challenge.

Jack said...

Beautiful card, and what a great bg technique. xx

Jane Wetzel said...

these are so cool and I LOVE the Stampotique images you picked to use! congrats on being featured on the Stampotique blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...